Kew Book Of Embroidered Flowers South Africa
The Kew Book Of Embroidered Flowers
Special Folio edition with transfers.
Books ship to South African customers only. International customers order here.
This sumptuous and inspiring book, complete with reusable iron-on transfers, is written by needlework expert Trish Burr and created in association with The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, and is the ultimate guide to embroidering flowers.
This sumptuous and inspiring book, written by needlework expert Trish Burr and created in association with The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, is a stunning, contemporary guide to embroidering flowers. All the reusable iron-on transfers needed are kept safely together with the book in an attractive hardback folder.
Focusing mainly on long-and-short stitch and Trish's delicate, considered use of silk shading, the book contains all the clearly-illustrated stitches needed, and gives thorough advice on preparation and choosing fabrics and threads including a handy thread conversion chart.
The embroideries are reworkings of botanical artworks from Kew's Art Collection. There is one 'starter' project to encourage readers to try out the techniques, one large sampler containing 18 small elements that can be worked individually or as a group, and nine further projects including a striking spider chrysanthemum, an elegant waterlily and an opulent magnolia. All the projects are shown step-by-step, with an order of work diagram given where appropriate.
The enclosed reusable iron-on transfer papers offer embroiderers a fast and accurate method of transferring the designs - the transfers simply need ironing on to fabric so that the reader can start embroidering straight away. The templates are also included at full size at the back of the book.
This stunning yet practical book is a must-have for anyone interested in capturing flowers in thread.
Mary Corbet, Needle N Thread.
"The book is extra-special, thanks to a few nuances and extras that we don’t often find in this type of embroidery book.
I’m not going to pro and con this book. If you love needlepainting, if you want to explore needlepainting fully, if you love botanicals, you’re going to love this book. You’re going to want the special folio edition. And you’ll find it a treasure."
The Story Behind The Book. Read More.
The Special Folio edition includes iron on transfers for all the projects in the book.
How to get the best results from your iron on transfers.
1) Ensure your iron is set to the hottest dry setting. Iron the fabric to remove creases
2) Hold iron on fabric for a few seconds to pre-heat area
3) Place transfer paper face down on to fabric. Ensure it is centered on fabric.
4) Place hot iron on top of transfer paper and hold in place for about a minute. Ensure that the iron is not scorching your fabric. Ensure all areas of design have been covered with irion.
5) Lift paper, outline will be transferred on to fabric.
- Outlines are indelible and will not wash out.
- Transfers can be used 1 - 2 times depending on your iron settings and the fabric you use.
- Transfers are an optional bonus. Book also includes tracing outline if you prefer to trace your own.